Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Exam time!

Final exams are coming up in two weeks, which means students are buckling down and hitting the study rooms pretty hard. It is a good indication of the high value Korean's place on education that Pohang has a plethora of private study rooms for rent, outside of which I often see my students congregated late at night. Though the school stays open pretty late (10pm or later), I imagine the kids get tired of seeing the same walls every day and they prefer even the slight change that study rooms provide. I haven't been inside of one but I always picture a cheap, dingy room with a single dim lightbulb and a desk in the corner. Knowing Koreans, though, I expect they have provide more comforts than that (ok, now I'm picturing a hybrid love motel-study room).

Tomorrow is also an exam day, on which the students take a a national practice exam. This means I have no classes. It will be nice to catch up on my lesson plans again - I have some ideas floating around in my head that I need to put down on paper. During exam week I'll also be free of my normal classload (and the week before, too - the teachers will cancel my class in favor of a study period for the students), though I'll still be expected at school. If I catch up on my lesson plans tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'll do for the rest of June. Probably look up videos on the Philippines! Lisa and I are going to Bohol for 10 days in August to scuba dive and play around in the rainforest.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...